Letter From Michigan Department of Health & Human Services to Personal Care Services Providers
A letter from the Michigan Department of Health & Human Services
Personal Care Services Providers,
On March 23, 2020, Governor Whitmer signed the "Stay Safe, Stay Home" Executive Order No. 2020-21, directing all Michigan businesses to temporarily suspend in-person operations that are not necessary to sustain or protect life. The executive order allows businesses and individuals that provide critical infrastructure services necessary to sustain or protect life to continue in-person operations.
The purpose of this letter is to affirm that personal care services meet the definition of critical infrastructure services. Thus, personal care services providers may continue to provide services to Michigan Medicaid beneficiaries.
As noted in point 7 of the executive order, individuals may leave their home or place of residence and travel as necessary:
- If they are a worker or volunteer for businesses or operations that provide food, shelter, and other necessities of life for economically disadvantaged or otherwise needy individuals, individuals who need assistance as a result of this emergency, and people with disabilities.
- To perform tasks that are necessary to care for a family member, a minor, dependents, the elderly, persons with disabilities, or other vulnerable persons.
- To secure medication or to seek medical or dental care that is necessary to address a medical emergency or to preserve the health and safety of a household or family member.
- To purchase groceries, take-out food, gasoline, needed medical supplies, and any other products necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation, and basic operation of their residences.
- To care for a family member or a family member's pet in another household.
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) recommends personal care services providers read the conditions they must meet that are outlined in point 5 of the executive order.
Link to Executive Order 2020-21, Stay Home, Stay Safe http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/Shelter+in+place+order+from+Gov.+Whitmer.pdf
If you have additional questions, you may contact Provider Support at 1-800-979-4662 or by email at ProviderSupport@Michigan.gov.