Sharon Milberger, Sc.D.
MI-DDI Director, MI-LEND Co-Director
Sharon Milberger, Sc.D.
|1987||B.S.N.||University of Michigan|
|1994||Ph.D.||Harvard School of Public Health (Epidemiology)|
|1991||M.S||Harvard School of Public Health (Physiology)|
I have a deep commitment to contributing to the development of inclusive communities and quality of life for people with intellectual/developmental disabilities and their families. As the director of the Michigan Developmental Disabilities Institute (MI-DDI) – Michigan’s University Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities Education, Research, and Service (UCEDD), I am responsible for statewide education, community support, research, and dissemination programs. I have over two decades of research and program experience in I/DD, early intervention, family support subsidy, and health promotion and disease prevention. I am committed to promoting diversity and cultural competency and served as a Healthcare Equity Ambassador (and chaired the Healthcare Equity evaluation workgroup) for Henry Ford Health System (HFHS). I led the creation of LiveWell, a Center of Excellence at HFHS that required coordination and collaboration across multiple disciplines to optimize the health of system employees, patients, and community members. I also led the development of an innovative mobile app (5210 Kids!) to engage young children and their families in healthy habits.
Professional Memberships & Honors
- Graduate, Henry Ford Health System Leadership Academy (2013)
- Graduate, UCEDD Leadership Institute (2016)
- Consultant, Formative Evaluation Research Associates (FERA), Ann Arbor, MI,
- Member, Michigan Developmental Disabilities Council
- Grant Reviewer, Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) of Michigan Foundation
- Grant Reviewer, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Grant Reviewer Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Substance Abuse Policy Program
- Member, Detroit Public Schools Coordinated School Health Council
- Founding Member, Exercise is MedicineTM Task Force
- Member, Kellogg Food and Fitness Collaborative Advisory Council
- Chair, Henry Ford Health System, Health Equity Evaluation Council
- Co-Chair, MDHHS, Partnership for Health and Disability Advisory Council
- Member, Best and Brightest Wellness Advisory Board
- 1989-1994 Institutional National Research Service Award, Harvard University (full tuition plus stipend)
- 2010 Focus on People Award, HFHS Healthcare Equity Campaign
- 2014 Focus on People Award, HFHS Community Health, Equity & Wellness Team