Empowerment Education DSP Training Modules
The Michigan Empowerment Education Training Initiative was developed by MI-DDI to address the needs of Direct Support Professionals (DSPs), service providers, and people with disabilities. DSPs are essential and important professionals in the lives of individuals with disabilities. DSPs work on the front lines of care and service and are invaluable to individuals with disabilities and their families. Empowerment Education is intended to provide training for this important workforce so that they can deliver the best care and service to those they serve.
Empowerment Education Training consists of three tracks, each designed to enhance the skills of those in a particular segment of the direct care workforce. The three training curricula are:
- Empowerment Education Training for Michigan Direct Support Professionals (16 different modules)
- Pathways to Leadership, Hiring and Supervising Your Own Staff
- Direct Support Professional Supervisor Training
Training can be done in person or online.
Continuing Education Credits
Several of the Empowerment Education modules carry Social Work and/or Qualified Intellectual Disabilities Professional (QIDP) continuing education credits. Contact Empowerment Education Director Elizabeth Janks at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about the availability of these credits. Each module also carries 1.5 Continuing Education Credits (CEUs) applicable to Adult Foster Care Licensee and Administrator Training certification.
DSP Training Modules
- Conflict Resolution
- Creating a Culture of Support
- Direct Support Professionals Policy Advocacy
- Direct Support Professionals: Your Career Opportunity
- Education for All: Postsecondary Education is an Option for Adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- Introduction to Dual Diagnosis
- Living a Self-Determined Life
- Making the Transition A.S.A.P.-As Smooth As Possible
- Person-Centered Planning: Valuing the Contributions of Direct Support Professionals
- Self-Advocates and Direct Support Professionals Working in Partnership to Achieve Life's Dreams
- Stress Management: It's All About Awareness, Attitude, and Action at Work
- Supporting Growth Through Opportunity and Choices
- Supporting Individuals with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders
- Supporting People in Establishing Friendships and Making Community Connections
- Teaching Made Easy
- Ten Successful and Assertive Steps for Working with Professionals
Downloadable Module Lists
- Full List of Module and Descriptions-Long Version
- Full List of Module and Descriptions-Short Version
Upcoming Training Opportunities
If you would like to schedule Empowerment Education for your organization or staff, open and complete the Empowerment Education Training request form. Or you may contact the Empowerment Education Training Director listed below.
Associate Director of Training and Education
Phone: (313) 577-6368